Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Follow-Up Appointment with Dr. D

I stopped blogging about how I am feeling because it was just more of the same thing. Lots of ups and downs basically. But today I spoke to Dr. D and have some new information and now there is even more to my treatment protocol.

I mentioned that I get gallbladder pain if I don't take ox bile and she said this is an indication that parasites are an issue for me. That, combined with my die off from Biltricide, constant hunger, and the daily abdominal distention indicated to her that parasites still need to be addressed. So I have to take Biltricide again for two days during the next new moon and full moon. After the first two days of Biltricide she wants me to take Ivermectin 12 mg four times a day for 14 days, Pyrantel pamoate 1,000 mg once a day at bedtime for 14 days, Albenza 400 mg twice a day for 28 days, and Alinia 500 mg three times a day for 20 days, all one after another.

Today has actually been a really rough day for me emotionally so it was good that I got to talk to her. One thing that is really hard for me is that I have gained 8 lbs since January and I hate it. I realize that shouldn't be of great importance but when you keep gaining weight and don't know why and you live on meat, fat and vegetables, it's pretty frustrating. When I mentioned this to her she felt that it was either due to mold or parasites or both affecting my metabolism. This is another reason she thinks I have parasites and the medications I listed above also have a fungal component so she is addressing both yeast and parasites with them.

My lithium was incredibly low on the hair analysis which she said can cause the depression I experience as well as some of the other symptoms I have. She said something about neuro-protective nutrients mobilizing more toxins and this damages nerves which are more susceptible to damage during detox. She wants me to take lithium aspartate 60 mg at night and if I tolerate that well she wants me to add more during the day up to 120 mg a day. Zinc was really high on the hair analysis and she believes this is because I am losing it because the receptors are not able to take it into the cell wall where it's needed. This will change over time as my body heals.

She had prescribed 0.1 mg of Desmopressin because of the low ADH (anti-diuretic hormone). She felt this would help with frequent urination, particularly at night, and also with fluid balance so fluid goes into the blood versus to my tissue or right through me. I tried it several days but it did not help. She asked if I am still taking half a tablet and of course I had forgotten that I am supposed to start with 1/2 a tablet and at night, not in the morning. She said to try taking it at night to see if that helps so I will try that tonight.

Next I mentioned that my underarms and the skin around my underarms has been crazy itchy, as well as the creases of my groin to some degree. Incidentally this is where I am supposed to put the Detox Deodorant every night. She said the deodorant is probably pulling metals to the skin which yeast eats and this makes the yeast go crazy which causes itching. Interesting! She suggested putting coconut oil on my itchy skin in the morning and to keep using the deodorant at night.

I asked her about oxalates and she said most if not all of her patients have issues with oxalates. She sent me a chart that lists food I should eat, foods that are acceptable, and foods that I need to avoid.

When I saw her in person in January she said that the things I have going on are what she sees in her practice all the time and is pretty typical of the kind of patients she gets. So I asked her if those patients are able to regain full health, how long the initial die off lasts (I had heard Dr. K say the first two months are rough), and how long it takes to have a normal life again (think feeling good, energy to have fun and work out, ability to work full time, ability to think clearly, etc.). Her answer was very encouraging yet also utterly depressing. She said because I have Kryptopyrroluria (KPU) the initial die off and detox will take anywhere from 6 to 12 months and then it will be like a big cloud has been lifted. People with KPU start detoxing metals when the mineral and vitamin deficiencies are replaced which causes a lot of highs and lows and takes quite some time.

She said patients who have been sick for a long time like me even go through something similar to PTSD but I will feel normal again and will have a normal life. Eighteen months into treatment I will still be on a fairly heavy treatment protocol but I should start to feel much better and whole categories of symptoms will disappear. 

Overall healing, until I HAVE a normal life again will take anywhere from 3 to 5 years. At that point I would only need to go to the clinic 2 to 3 times a year and my protocol might be 10 to 15 items versus 20 to 30 items. I have to admit, this was the depressing part and when I told my mom about it later I burst into tears. Three to five years to have a normal life and then to still be taking 10 to 15 supplements/meds a day seems hard, but then I am a bit emotional today.

The encouraging part, other than that I will be able to have a normal life again, is that she said her patients who have gone through what I am going through typically end up healthier than their peers who haven't gone through something like this. She said her recovered patients are much more aware of health issues creeping up and taking care of themselves. In addition and as a result, her patients are usually less susceptible to common major illnesses including cancer. I guess there is a light at the end of the tunnel after all.

When I saw her in January she said she would like me to come back in three to four months. I asked her how many days I need to plan for this trip and she said three days would be good. So I am hoping to go either late April or middle of May after my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment